FORT WORTH, Texas (Oct. 19, 2015) – The Davey O’Brien Award has announced its “Great 8” quarterback performances for week seven of the college football season. The eight honorees include: Trevone Boykin of TCU, Washington State’s Luke Falk, Everett Golson of Florida State, Notre Dame’s DeShone Kizer, Memphis’ Paxton Lynch, Dak Prescott of Mississippi State, Baylor’s Seth Russell and Deshaun Watson of Clemson.
All 128 FBS quarterbacks are eligible for the weekly honor, which is determined by a subset of the Davey O’Brien National Selection Committee. The winner of the Davey O’Brien Quarterback of the Week Award, which will be one of the week’s “Great 8” quarterbacks, will be announced Tuesday at 5:30 p.m. (CT).
In 1938, Davey O’Brien, who wore No. 8 as a star quarterback for TCU, became the first player ever to win the Heisman Trophy, Maxwell Award and Walter Camp Award in the same year. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1955.
O’Brien was drafted fourth overall in the 1939 NFL Draft and earned Pro Bowl honors in his rookie season after setting an National Football League record for season passing yardage. The NFL’s highest-paid player retired after the 1940 season to become an FBI agent.
The Davey O’Brien Foundation was created in 1977, and the National Quarterback Award, the oldest and most prestigious college quarterback award, was first issued in 1981. Since 1977, the Foundation has given away more than $900,000 in scholarships and university grants to help high school and college athletes transform leadership on the field into leadership in life.
Week 7 “Great 8” Performances:
Trevone Boykin (TCU, Sr., 6-2, 205, Dallas, Texas)
* Had 510 total yards (436 passing and 74 rushing) and five total scores (four passing, one rushing) during a 45-21 victory over Iowa State.
Luke Falk (Washington State, So., 6-4, 205, Logan, Utah)
* Tied the school record for touchdown passes (39-for-50, 407 yards, six touchdowns, two interceptions) in a 52-31 win over Oregon State.
Everett Golson (Florida State, Sr., 6-0, 199, Myrtle Beach, S.C.)
* Connected on 26 of 38 passes for 372 yards and three scores, and had no turnovers for the sixth straight game, in a 41-21 triumph over Louisville.
DeShone Kizer (Notre Dame, R-Fr., 6-4, 230, Toledo, Ohio)
* Was 15 of 24 for 227 yards and two touchdowns and added 47 rushing yards in a 41-31 comeback win over USC.
Paxton Lynch (Memphis, Jr., 6-7, 245, Deltona, Fla.)
* Guided Memphis to an upset win over No. 13 Ole Miss by completing 39 of 53 pass attempts for 384 yards and three touchdowns with one interception.
Dak Prescott (Mississippi State, Sr., 6-2, 230, Haughton, La.)
* Amassed 381 total yards (347 passing, 34 rushing) and four touchdowns (three passing, one rushing) in a 45-20 win over Louisiana Tech.
Seth Russell (Baylor, Jr., 6-3, 220, Garland, Texas)
* Became second player in school history with 300-passing (380) and 100-rushing yards (160) in a game, and totaled six touchdowns (five passing) to defeat West Virginia.
Deshaun Watson (Clemson, So., 6-2, 210, Gainesville, Ga.)
* Passed for 420 yards and three touchdowns and gained 32 yards on the ground with one score in a 34-17 win over Boston College.