FORT WORTH, Texas (Nov. 3, 2015) – The Davey O’Brien Award has revealed the “Great 8” quarterback performances for week nine as determined by the selection committee. The eight honorees include: Oregon’s Vernon Adams Jr., David Blough of Purdue, TCU’s Trevone Boykin, Stanford’s Kevin Hogan, Chad Kelly of Ole Miss, Notre Dame’s DeShone Kizer, Keenan Reynolds of Navy and Clemson’s Deshaun Watson.
Four of this week’s “Great 8” performers are semifinalists for the Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award (Boykin, Hogan, Reynolds and Watson).
All 128 FBS quarterbacks are eligible for the weekly honor, which is determined by a subset of the Davey O’Brien National Selection Committee. The winner of the Davey O’Brien Quarterback of the Week Award, which will be one of the week’s “Great 8” quarterbacks, will be announced Wednesday.
In 1938, Davey O’Brien, who wore No. 8 as a star quarterback for TCU, became the first player ever to win the Heisman Trophy, Maxwell Award and Walter Camp Award in the same year. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1955.
O’Brien was drafted fourth overall in the 1939 NFL Draft and earned Pro Bowl honors in his rookie season after setting an National Football League record for season passing yardage. The NFL’s highest-paid player retired after the 1940 season to become an FBI agent.
The Davey O’Brien Foundation was created in 1977, and the National Quarterback Award, the oldest and most prestigious college quarterback award, was first issued in 1981. Since 1977, the Foundation has given away more than $900,000 in scholarships and university grants to help high school and college athletes transform leadership on the field into leadership in life.
Week 9 “Great 8” Performances:
Vernon Adams Jr., Oregon, Sr., 5-11, 201, Pasadena, Calif.
* Connected on 23 of 40 passes for 315 yards and four touchdowns in a 61-55 triple-overtime win over Arizona State.
David Blough, Purdue, Fr., 6-1, 202, Carrollton, Texas
* Was 28-for-43 for 274 yards and four touchdowns and added 82 rushing yards and a score in a 55-45 win over Nebraska.
Trevone Boykin, TCU, Sr., 6-2, 205, Dallas, Texas
* Threw for 388 yards and three touchdowns and rushed for 84 yards and a score in a 40-10 triumph over West Virginia.
Kevin Hogan, Stanford, Sr., 6-4, 218, McLean, Va.
* Ran for a career-high 112 yards and two touchdowns in a 30-28 victory over Washington State.
Chad Kelly, Ole Miss, Jr., 6-2, 215, Buffalo, N.Y.
* Completed 33 of 51 passes for 381 yards and a pair of touchdowns in a 27-19 win over Auburn.
DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame, 6-4, 230, Fr., Toledo, Ohio
* Helped lead Notre Dame past No. 19 Temple by throwing for 299 yards and a score and amassing 143 yards rushing and two touchdowns.
Keenan Reynolds, Navy, Sr., 5-11, 205, Antioch, Tenn.
* Scored twice to tie the all-time career rushing touchdown record (77) and added 117 yards rushing on 26 carries in a 29-17 win over USF.
Deshaun Watson, Clemson, So., 6-2, 210, Gainesville, Ga.
* Totaled six touchdowns (five passing, one rushing) and 437 yards (383 passing, 54 rushing) in a 56-41 victory over NC State.