FORT WORTH, Texas (Nov. 4, 2019) – The Davey O’Brien Foundation’s “Great 8” quarterbacks have officially been announced for the 10th week of the college football season. With five first-time honorees recognized on Monday, the Foundation has now honored 49 different quarterbacks this season.
The eight honorees, as determined by voting from the award’s selection subcommittee, are: Stephen Calvert of Liberty, North Texas’ Mason Fine, Jake Fromm of Georgia, UCF’s Dillon Gabriel, Justin Herbert of Oregon, Wake Forest’s Jamie Newman, Bryce Perkins of Virginia and Memphis’ Brady White. The winner of the Davey O’Brien National Quarterback of the Week Award will be announced Tuesday.
In 1938, O’Brien, who wore No. 8 as a star quarterback for TCU, became the first player ever to win the Heisman Trophy, Maxwell Award and Walter Camp Award in the same year. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1955.
O’Brien was drafted fourth overall in the 1939 NFL Draft and earned Pro Bowl honors in his rookie season after setting a National Football League record for season passing yardage. The NFL’s highest-paid player retired after the 1940 season to become an FBI agent.
The Davey O’Brien Foundation was created in 1977, and the National Quarterback Award, the oldest and most prestigious college quarterback award, was first issued in 1981. The Davey O’Brien Fan Vote, now in its 13th year, gives fans a chance to play a role in determining the award winner by voting daily at VoteOBrien.org. Fan voting is currently open.
Since 1977, the Davey O’Brien Foundation has given away more than $1 million in scholarships and university grants to help high school and college athletes transform leadership on the field into leadership in life. For more information, visit DaveyOBrien.org.
Week 10 “Great 8” Performances:
Stephen Calvert, Liberty, Sr., 6-2, 180, Plantation, Fla.
- Passed for a career-high 474 yards and four touchdowns, completing 20 of 27 attempts, in a 63-21 victory at UMass.
Mason Fine, North Texas, Sr., 5-11, 190, Peggs, Okla.
- Threw a career-best and stadium record seven touchdown passes, the most by a Conference USA quarterback since 2014, and was 24-for-39 for 332 yards in a 52-26 win over UTEP.
Jake Fromm, Georgia, Jr., 6-2, 220, Warner Robins, Ga.
- Led the Bulldogs to a 24-17 win over No. 6 Florida by completing 20 of 30 passes for 279 yards and two touchdowns against no interceptions.
Dillon Gabriel, UCF, Fr., 6-0, 186, Mililani, Hawaii
- Totaled four touchdowns (three passing, one rushing) and connected on 21 of 30 passes for 298 yards in a 44-29 win over Houston.
Justin Herbert, Oregon, Sr., 6-6, 237, Eugene, Ore.
- Was 21-for-26 through the air for 225 yards and three touchdowns and added a rushing score in a 56-24 win at USC.
Jamie Newman, Wake Forest, Jr., 6-4, 230, Graham, N.C.
- Accounted for five touchdowns (three passing, two rushing) and over 300 yards of total offense (287 passing, 30 rushing) in a 44-10 victory over NC State.
Bryce Perkins, Virginia, Sr., 6-3, 215, Queen Creek, Ariz.
- Amassed nearly 500 yards of offense, going 30-of-39 for 378 yards and three TDs, and rushing for 112 yards and two scores as Virginia defeated North Carolina, 38-31.
Brady White, Memphis, Jr., 6-3, 215, Newhall, Calif.
- Directed the Tigers to a 54-48 triumph over unbeaten and 15th-ranked SMU by connecting on 19 of 33 passes for 350 yards and three touchdowns.