FORT WORTH, Texas (Oct. 12, 2020) — The Davey O’Brien Foundation has announced the eight quarterbacks on the Week 6 Davey O’Brien Great 8 list, a group that features three sophomores and a freshman.
The quarterbacks on this week’s Great 8 list include: freshman Connor Bazelak of Missouri, Georgia junior Stetson Bennett, sophomore Sam Howell of North Carolina, Alabama junior Mac Jones, sophomore Phil Jurkovec of Boston College, Clemson junior Trevor Lawrence, senior Kellen Mond of Texas A&M and Troy sophomore Gunnar Watson.
In 2020, any player named to a Great 8 list during the season who was not previously named to the Preseason Watch List will be added to the Midseason Watch List and will be eligible for the Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award. Forty-six players now comprise the list following the additions of Bazelak, Bennett and Watson.
The Davey O’Brien Foundation was created in 1977, and the National Quarterback Award, the oldest and most prestigious college quarterback award, was first issued in 1981. Over its time, the Davey O’Brien Foundation has given away more than $1 million in scholarships and university grants to help high school and college athletes transform leadership on the field into leadership in life.
In 1938, O’Brien, who was a star quarterback for TCU and wore No. 8 , became the first player ever to win the Heisman Trophy, Maxwell Award and Walter Camp Award in the same year. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1955. For more information, visit www.DaveyOBrien.org.
Connor Bazelak, Missouri, Fr., 6-3, 215, Dayton, Ohio
- Threw nearly as many touchdowns (4) as incompletions (5), going 29-for-34 for 406 yards with no interceptions as Missouri defeated No. 17 LSU, 45-41.
Stetson Bennett, Georgia, Jr., 5-11, 190, Blackshear, Ga.
- Guided Georgia to a 44-21 win over No. 14 Tennessee by completing 16 of 27 passes for 238 yards and two touchdowns and rushing for 22 yards and a score.
Sam Howell, North Carolina, So., 6-1 1/4, 225, Indian Trail, N.C.
- Was 18-for-23 passing for 257 yards and three touchdowns and carried the ball three times for 19 yards in a 56-45 win over No. 19 Virginia Tech.
Mac Jones, Alabama, Jr., 6-3, 214, Jacksonville, Fla.
- Completed 87.5 percent of his passes (28 of 32) and had 417 passing yards and two touchdowns in a 63-48 shootout victory over Ole Miss.
Phil Jurkovec, Boston College, So., 6-5, 226, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Accounted for all four touchdowns (three passing, one rushing) and threw for 358 yards in a 31-30 overtime win over Pittsburgh.
Trevor Lawrence, Clemson, Jr., 6-6, 220, Cartersville, Ga.
- Was 29-for-41 passing for 292 yards and three touchdowns, and added eight rushes for 34 yards and a TD, as Clemson downed No. 7 Miami, 42-17.
Kellen Mond, Texas A&M, Sr., 6-3, 217, San Antonio, Texas
- Directed the Aggies to a 41-38 win over No. 4 Florida by connecting on 25 of 38 passes for 338 yards and three touchdowns against no interceptions.
Gunnar Watson, Troy, So., 6-3, 208, Butler, Ga.
- Threw for more than 300 yards (338), going 33-for-46 with four touchdowns and no interceptions in a 37-17 win over Texas State.