FORT WORTH, Texas (Oct. 25, 2021) — The Davey O’Brien Great 8 quarterbacks for week 8, selected from players on the Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award’s official Midseason Watch List, were announced today.
This week’s Great 8 list is comprised of Virginia’s Brennan Armstrong, Sam Hartman of Wake Forest, SMU’s Tanner Mordecai, Kenny Pickett of Pitt, Iowa State’s Brock Purdy, Will Rogers of Mississippi State, Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud and Bryce Young of Alabama.
The Davey O’Brien Foundation was created in 1977, and the National Quarterback Award, the oldest and most prestigious college quarterback award, was first issued in 1981. Over its time, the Davey O’Brien Foundation has given away more than $1.2 million in scholarships and university grants to help high school and college athletes transform leadership on the field into leadership in life.
In 1938, O’Brien, who wore No. 8 as a star quarterback for TCU, became the first player ever to win the Heisman Trophy, Maxwell Award and Walter Camp Award in the same year. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1955. For more information, visit www.DaveyOBrien.org.
Brennan Armstrong, Virginia, Jr. 6-2, 215, Shelby, Ohio
- Posted 495 yards of total offense (396 passing, 99 rushing) and six touchdowns (four passing, two rushing) in a 48-40 victory over Georgia Tech.
Sam Hartman, Wake Forest, R-So., 6-1, 208, Charlotte, N.C.
- Accumulated six total touchdowns, going 23 of 29 passing for 458 yards and five touchdowns and rushing four times for 22 yards and a TD, in a 70-56 win over Army West Point.
Tanner Mordecai, SMU, Jr., 6-3, 218, Waco, Texas
- Completed 30 of 42 passes for 427 yards and three touchdowns and tacked on 34 rushing yards and a TD on seven carries as the Mustangs defeated Tulane, 55-26.
Kenny Pickett, Pitt, Sr., 6-3, 220, Oakhurst, N.J.
- Led the Panthers to a 27-17 win over Clemson by going 25-for-39 for 302 yards and a pair of touchdowns, and also adding 15 rushing yards.
Brock Purdy, Iowa State, Sr., 6-1, 220, Gilbert, Ariz.
- Threw for 307 yards with two touchdown strikes and just six incompletions (27 of 33) while guiding the Cyclones past No. 8 Oklahoma State, 24-21.
Will Rogers, Mississippi State, So., 6-2, 210, Brandon, Miss.
- Completed 41 of 57 passing attempts for 384 yards and four touchdowns in a 45-6 triumph over Vanderbilt.
C.J. Stroud, Ohio State, R-Fr., 6-3, 218, Empire, Calif.
- Was 21-for-28 passing with 266 yards and four touchdowns in just three quarters as the Buckeyes downed Indiana, 54-7.
Bryce Young, Alabama, So., 6-0, 194, Pasadena, Calif.
- Amassed 413 yards of offense (371 passing, 42 rushing) and four touchdowns (two passing, two rushing) in a 52-24 win over Tennessee.